What do local candidates think about making MUP’s (bike paths) clean and safe for cyclists?

There was a recent query to Sharia Mayfield (candidate for Multnomah County Chair) by a user of the forums. I felt it was important enough to give it a separate entry. I have queried the other candidates as well but have not yet had a reply. Here is the question and reply (in bold):

On your campaign web page (at Priorities — Sharia Mayfield, Community Advocate) you write, “Part of keeping public space clean and accessible to everyone means enforcing laws that threaten that.” You also write, “Sharia supports the June 2015 Climate Action Plan to reduce greenhouse emissions to ambitiously ensure 2030 objectives.”

A way that we can reduce GHG is to promote bicycle transportation. A way that we’re deterring bicycle transportation is allowing multi-use paths (MUPs) such as the Springwater and I205 paths, to be used as de facto homeless campsites. For many potential users, this effectively closes MUPs.

To meet two of your priorities, will you emphasize getting homeless off of MUPs, cleaning up MUPs, and reopening MUPs for everyone to use?

Thanks so much for reaching out and thanks for your patience as I do try to reply to each query myself (lots of time, but important). As to your question, I actually live right next to the Springwater trail and am concerned that multi-use paths become more dangerous and deter others when there is unsanctioned camping and attendant drug use in the open. I haven’t seen it on the trail here yet but I only walk through a small strip.

To answer your question: “To meet two of your priorities, will you emphasize getting homeless off of MUPs, cleaning up MUPs, and reopening MUPs for everyone to use?” 100%. My campaign is primarily focused on urgently ending illegal street camping and moving people into varied alternative short-term options until they are rehabilitated and/or can self-sustain.

All the best,
Sharia

1 Like

Here is a reply from Rene Gonzalez’ campaign:
(I am awaiting response from the other City Council and Multnomah County Chair Candidates. Sharia Mayfield has already replied

Yes, we definitely support clearing multi-use paths of unsanctioned camps so they are usable for everyone again!

We emphasize humane treatment and offering addiction services or other helpful means to help folks transition from unsanctioned camps btw.

Let me know if we can bring a lawn sign out or if you’d like to attend an event.

Best regards,

Shah Smith
Campaign Manager
Rene for Portland
https://reneforportland.com/