Unlicensed 2nd hand bike dismantlers: N Lombard & N Glibert; MUP btwn N Lombard & N Fessenden

I apologize in advance about quirky wording. Per the administrator, I can not express on this forum any assumptions about the legal status of bicycles being handled.

I am only going to present known facts which are there are numerous quantities of bicycles and bicycle parts being staged, handled and exchanging hands and there is no place of business registration on file with the City of Portland Office of Management and Finance; or the State of Oregon Secretary of State.

Location 1: E/S N Gilbert St 50’ north of N Lombard. 5-6 bicycles in various states of disassembly in plain view. The dismantling activity appears to extend into the area underneath the Lombard St overpass.

Location 2: East side of the railroad trench, west side of the trail. Peninsula Crossing Trail, approximately 1,000’ NE of Lombard. Very large pile of bicycle components.

1 Like

Gee, I wonder if these operations are legitimate? I’d hate to think there was some funny business going on.

3 Likes

They absolutely are not. Secondhand Dealers Permits | The City of Portland, Oregon
In order for your business to acquire property that is frequently a target of theft, including sporting goods such as bicycles, YOU MUST have a Secondhand Dealers Permits.

Per the forum owner, I’m not allowed to comment on the message board about the alleged lawfulness of ownership of merchandise. But I can say there is no record of secondhand dealer permit at Lombard/Glibert, or on the Peninsula Crossing Trail. This is a verifiable fact.

One of the conditions of operating such a business that you have to tell the police what you acquired and hang onto it for a certain period before being made available for sale/barter.

4 Likes

This isn’t a business though? It’s individuals selling bicycles right? Therefore no Secondhand Dealer permit is required, and you are assuming the legal status directly as well.

Reminds me of years ago (pre-covid) that bicycle thefts were ramping up. Finger pointing all around and the City and Police had a big press conference where they announced they were forming a special Task Force to combat theft. Those of us that saw that looked at each other when one of us said “all you have to do is go over the river and you’ll find them under that bridge. Why does it take a Task Force to see what is right in front of them?”

3 Likes

ummm. that’s not how it works. if you bought a bike, then decided you wanted to sell it a month later, that’s not a business. If you’re intentionally seeking to buy items to flip and do so regularly, that’s a business. If you’re not properly registered, you’re a business, an illegitimate business.

2 Likes

How can you be sure that these people are buying the bikes from others, then selling them? All you have seen/stated is that its people selling bikes. Quit adding in information and changing your story lmao.

Prima facie evidence. If I leave a luggage case on the sidewalk in front of FlowerCrow’s house and there’s no rebutting video evidence to the contrary, that’s likely mislaid property. Perhaps someone getting out of an uber set it aside and forgot it.

If it’s a pile of eight of them and they have things inside suggesting they have garbage, syringes and such in them, that’s probably illegal dumping.

1 Like

It’s pretty amazing the amount of rose colored glasses people are wearing to not see what it right in front of them.
Every morning I walk to my local coffee shop and am dismayed at what has become of my community. Government officials flap their gums a lot about solutions, but few, if any, actually provide viable ones. Wonder what would happen if their bikes/cars/trucks were being stolen and would show up at one of the numerous “dismatlers” that operate out in the open for all to see?
Yeah, I’m sure these “dismatlers” have the funds to pay for the numerous bikes they have. Maybe the City is offering a fund for non-traditionally housed entrepreneurs in Portland!?!?

4 Likes

Or if the type of debris found at the cut were to be found in the grass strip in front of homeless services executive’s house and their toddler gets a junkie disease laden needle stick.

2 Likes

What happens to a bike after it’s stolen?

Typically, a bike is stolen by a drug user to either trade or sell the bike for drugs. The drug dealer then moves it up the chain where it is eventually integrated into the community again, usually by selling it through an online marketplace.

Source: Bike Theft FAQ | Bike Theft Task Force | The City of Portland, Oregon

So for all practical purposes, bartering is the same as sale. Good reason to illegalize naloxone, and disallow it from OHP and Medicaid payment for their prescription.

2 Likes

Unfortunately the leaders of Portland (that we voters elected) have decided property theft is okay. If we want this to change we need to vote them out of office. (think District Attorney, City Council, Multnomah County Chair). VOTE IN MAY!

2 Likes

well this is a terrible take

What part don’t you like?