Trucks pulling out into Naito bike lane without looking

I use the new Naito bike lanes to get to work and they make my ride conveniently quicker without having to worry as much about cars. Except when there are City of Portland Trucks pulling out from the Tom McCall Waterfront Park into the bike lane without stopping or looking for approaching cyclists, only looking for cars. I’ve hit my brakes so hard trying to avoid being hit by them that my brake pads warp. These trucks just drive on by without making any kind of eye contact and if they do, it’s to yell at me with menacing hand gestures and a blaring horn. I’m so frazzled each time that I forget to grab a license plate number.

I’m a defensive cyclist so I haven’t gotten hurt yet but this has happened to me 3 times in as many months. It’s only a matter of time before someone gets hit.

Am I in the wrong? Are cyclists supposed to yield to these City of Portland Service vehicles that pull out into the bike lanes?

1 Like

Front Ave by the new court house is especially bad for drivers driving in the bike lane to get to Jefferson St right turn.