Stolen Trek Dual Sport 2022

My 2022 Trek Dual Sport was stolen January 30th from my home near SE 115th & SE Harold. Police report #2022-902943. Please let me know if you see a bike matching this description. My kids are devastated that I can’t take them on bike rides. I saved for two years for this purchase and we got to go on exactly three rides before it was stolen.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear about the theft of your bike. I’ll keep an eye out where I ride, but I doubt I’ll see it. Do you have a serial number for it?

1 Like

Thank you! The more eyes the better. Serial # WTU282XC1223S

1 Like

I’ll keep a look out…thats a distinctive color
I live on the other side of Holgate from your location…

1 Like

Hi neighbor! Thank you so much. The lettering is silver / gray. It’s the newest model, there can’t be that many of them out there I hope.

1 Like

See the advice in here: What to do when your bike is stolen in Portland Oregon ...

… esp the parts about getting the bike listed as stolen in bikeindex.org, and watching Offerup for the next couple weeks. Pretty much everything stolen winds up for sale on Offerup eventually.

1 Like

That is what I did first thing. I’ve been checking daily, here’s hoping it turns up! On Craigslist yesterday I saw 20+ bike posts that all appeared to be by the same person. Is there any way to report that?

I’ve been looking around the area, it’s probably stashed away somewhere.
Adding to the other suggestions, I’m sure if you have a Ring doorbell,or something similar, you’ve already checked. SE Harold is a busy street with no side walks for the most part, maybe a neighbor has some security footage?
Have you tried NEXTDOOR. It is a very busy site specific to neighborhoods, but covers a wide area like Powell and Division.

Thank you for the feedback. We checked with the neighbors that we know have cameras and they didn’t capture anything. I’m not on NextDoor, maybe I will look into that. I haven’t seen anything on the typical for sale sites so someone either has it stashed or is using it themselves. I’ve heard a lot about the chop shops but I just can’t imagine someone cutting up a brand new bike.

Oh they’ll chop it alright. Yeah, you need to check the camps. Good odds it’s in one of them. You’ve listed it as stolen on bike index and Project 529 right?

:sob: I do have it registered and listed stolen. My husband checked some of the camps but there are SO many camps in this neighborhood and they are littered with bikes. He was out looking for hours and we finally decided that it wasn’t worth getting stabbed over. I do check the Springwater trail daily at Foster and at 111th, just in case.

1 Like

Good luck, sounds like you are doing everything you can do! It’s so sad one has to decide between risking their life and getting one’s bike back. Portland has decided to take a completely “hands off” approach to property theft. :rage: The Bike Theft Task Force was disbanded which certainly did not help. The DIY public safety concept has not been successful. Wishing you a miracle.

1 Like

I can’t wait for them to at least add a street-level drug distributor task force that allows for successful location, identification, apprehension and prosecution of drug sellers, including users who buy in bulk, then support their habit through selling them at retail.

1 Like