Springwater Corridor

Yesterday I was riding westward on the corridor and at least 20 cyclists passed me in 30 minutes of riding. One was a group of seven cyclists. I was the only person wearing a mask. It is impossible to distance myself from these cyclists. I’m asking people to please wear a mask.

1 Like

I agree, and I wear one in public. I tell myself that the odds of catching covid outside, moving along a street or path without prolonged proximity are very low. But still. Agreed.

1 Like

I’m all for wearing masks to protect others when we go indoors. Also if we’re outside at night. But UV rays kill this virus, right? So as long as the sun is out it’s UV rays are scrubbing the air around us?

1 Like

i follow the CDC guidelines and there’s never been any mention about UV rays killing Covid. That sounds like something our president might say. :joy:

Oh, sorry Beth! I just read it in a peer review scientific paper have you ever heard of Nature? UV light has been used as a disinfectant for a long time. The hoods I’ve worked in during my time earning a masters in cell & molecular biology all had UV lights for sterilization. I don’t think the president reads. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-67211-2

1 Like

The CDC doesn’t recommend UV probably because it mutates DNA and RNA alike so can hurt humans. That’s why we wear sun screen to protect our DNA from being mutated by UV from the sun.

Sars-Covid-2 is a + sense RNA virus I just figured it went without saying that UV kills it. But here is another paper that talks about the disinfecting properties of UV.

Differences between DNA & RNA

Comparison of UV-Induced Inactivation and RNA Damage in MS2 Phage across the Germicidal UV Spectrum

1 Like