Perpetual block party blocking bike lane on SW 13th between Main and Jefferson

Ugh. It really is a safety issue when bikes have to swerve into the street to avoid an unsanctioned “block party” that is being held indefinitely in the bike lane by members of transient encampments nearby.

2 Likes

Its more than just there…13th is a mess for several blocks all the way up near PSU. I have been riding this for a year daily and just recently someone placed orange candlestick cones blocking the bike lane off for the entire block, now every afternoon there is a huge group of people with their chairs all the way in the bike lane just hanging out there at their camp with their belongings taking up the entire bike lane.

This is really unsafe on thirteenth as its a busy road and it forces cyclists to be in the lane of traffic when the cars dont expect us to be there. I will probably alter my route to get around it as its gotten worse in just the past week or so.

3 Likes

I’ve been using the Flanders Crossing to 18th to avoid this as I would rather sprint with traffic for a bit on 18th than deal with 13th. I also just like how calm the Flanders greenway is compared to other routes.

3 Likes

This is absolutely ridiculous. A complaint some time ago to PBOT hasn’t led to the bike lane being restored to being available. WTF is our government doing?

Hackster, exactly. This is no longer homeless camp related issue. It needs to be dealt with the same way as frat kids setting up their own indefinite unsanctioned block party in the bike lane. The housing status of those setting up unsanctioned block parties should never be a factor.

2 Likes