Marine Drive Headwinds?

So I’ve done the full section of Marine Drive twice in the past week (233rd to Lombard), and I’ve been going East to West. Both times I was fighting the wind and thought, “Gee, this would be a lot nicer if I were going the other way.” I’m trying to wise up. Is this the most common direction for the wind there? Is it always a safer bet to ride from West to East? Any idea of websites to check that specific local wind speed/direction by the Columbia River?
Thanks!

I like a weather app called Windy. One of its many user-selectable layers shows wind flows across user-selected areas. Right now it agrees with your observation, and I think that is the prevailing wind, too.

That’s perfect - definitely bookmarking. Thanks!

1 Like

And just when you think you have it figured out, the wind will be from the west until I-205 or beyond, then from the east.

1 Like

That area can be windy. But you need to come to terms with the fact that it will mostly work against you. This is for two reasons:

1. If it helped you on your way out, it won’t when you’re headed back

2. Wind impedes cyclists for most of the circle – even from slightly behind. To actually assist you, it has to be mostly behind.

If you don’t like wind, narrow curvy roads and trees are your friends. The hills around Portland are great for this.