Is a bicycle at a stop sign equivalent to a pedestrian in a crosswalk?

When I am biking and stopped at a stop sign often crossing cars stop even though they don’t have a stop sign and have right-of-way. Many drivers seem to think that a bicycle at a stop sign is equivalent to a pedestrian in a crosswalk and must stop. Am I wrong in assuming this is not true? Are green-marked crossings any different? I would prefer the cars would treat the biker like another car and take their right of way. It is safer if we all follow the same rules all the time so interactions are predictable.

1 Like

I too don’t know if there’s an actual ORS/Rule that states it, but I’ve always ignored bikes at stop signs if the person is in the saddle as to me, they are a vehicle and are expecting to wait their turn to go. If you are in the street you are a vehicle, if on a sidewalk or an implied sidewalk you are a pedestrian. Just my thinking again, no clue if there’s a rule or not.

1 Like

I very regularly have drivers wave me through a stop even when they have the right of way. It causes me to think lie a lawyer or insurance agent. If I go even if the driver has the rightt of way would the court care if I was hit by a misunderstanding driver.

1 Like

It’s pretty cut and dry as far as the ORS goes. If you’re in the street on your bike at a stop sign, you’re operating it as a vehicle same as a car. If someone abdicates their right of way (I often refer to them as “niceholes”) they’re putting you at risk if any other lanes of traffic don’t stop – because you do not have right of way just because they abdicated theirs. So if you were to be injured in that scenario, you would have problems disproving your liability in the matter. It doesn’t matter if you have green “cross-bikes” because those have zero legal meaning at this point in Oregon’s Revised Statutes. Cross-bikes are not crosswalks and vice versa. Crosswalks (both marked and unmarked) are rather well-defined in the state’s statutes. I usually just point at the stop sign I have to wait for and shake my head, saying, “I’m doing what I’m supposed to be doing.”

That said, if you are on a sidewalk and approach a crosswalk, you may stay on your bicycle and still be considered a pedestrian. This is not true in most states (for example, you must dismount your bike in California to be considered a pedestrian). However, there are conditions that must be met before you are considered a pedestrian with the protections applied to them and not a vehicle.

1. You must enter the crosswalk at or less than a normal walking speed if vehicles are present. “A speed no greater than an ordinary walk” is the literal language of the law – I take it to mean 4mph or less. My regular walking pace with my dogs is about 3.3mph and would probably average higher if I didn’t have to stop for them to read and write pee-mail all the time.
  2. You have to observe all other laws applied to pedestrians and crosswalks.
  3. Motor-assisted bikes and all motorized scooters may not operate on sidewalks; therefore, they may not operate in a crosswalk as those are considered extensions of the sidewalk. There’s a newer statute explicitly making it illegal to not walk a motorized scooter when in the crosswalk. The mention of motor-assisted bikes being illegal on sidewalks was already covered in the previously linked ORS.
4 Likes

This reminds me of this article: https://bikeportland.org/2012/08/29/ray-thomas-on-the-unintended-consequences-of-ambiguous-intersections-76698

The answer is no, you are not a pedestrian, you are a vehicle driver. Anybody stopping for you is breaking the law if another car comes up behind them and is impeded by the stopped car.

I get this a lot, and am always annoyed that the driver is stopped. Even TriMet drivers do this illegal action. There are no laws that give “being nice” any power over existing laws. Don’t do nice things that break the law.

3 Likes

Lyft, Uber, construction outlaws double parking for hours without procuring the required permit.

i tend to agree with you on this.

People need to stop stopping for bike riders who are in the street and just follow the laws of the intersection. Until bicycle users are given the same legal rights as peds while in the street (not at a xwalk), people need to treat them like car users.

Bigger problem here is the confusing status of bicycle riders in the law. i’d really like to pass an omnibus bill some day that clears up a lot of this stuff and gives bicycle users their own specific status across all these ambiguous laws instead of the three-headed hybrid we are today.

1 Like