How Long until PBOT fixes the non-functional elevator at the Bob Stacey pedestrian and Bike Bridge

I am calling all kinds of numbers trying to get some movement on this. In case you don’t know, the Bob Stacey crossing was created to get pedestrians and cyclists safely over the Max and Union Pacific lines between 14th and 13th Ave at Gideon Street. It’s been at least 2 months since the southern elevator on the Bob Stacey Crossing has been non- functional. I’ve witnessed folks in wheelchairs stranded up there having to turn back, others with health issues struggling to descend or push up their bicycles. Considering that the alternative 17th Ave and Powell rail crossing is a near constant homeless camp exposing folks to blocked right of way: PBOT needs to fix that elevator at Bob Stacey Crossing! Under the 17th Ave and Powell rail bridge I have witnessed folks shooting up and creating dangerous obstacles for even healthy adults to navigate. My heart goes out to those on the street, and my heart also goes out to the countless pedestrians and cyclist primarily in the Brooklyn neighborhood who can’t get themselves and their kids over the rails safely without significant detours. PBOT is notoriously slow to act and in my opinion brings down the quality of the neighborhood all along Powell by not addressing issues like these. Folks need to start making more noise. They just completed the Bob Stacey Crossing less than 2 years ago and it’s already not fully functional? Has anyone else called or made progress on this ?

1 Like

I haven’t called to complain. But I’ve also been bothered by the elevators being out of commission on that bridge on multiple occasions. I’m strong enough to carry my bike up and over. But it’s a serious problem for those that aren’t capable of doing that.

The elevator on the east side of the Gibbs St bridge has also been out of commission every time I’ve needed to use it. The climb up to bridge level is at least twice as high as the climb up to the Bob Stacy crossing.

I would guess that the issues with the elevators are probably related to vandalism, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there was also a serious lack of maintenance.

1 Like

PBOT is an incompetent bureau lead by cronyism and corruption. Your expectations are too high.

1 Like