Gravel in Burnside bike lane

Lots of gravel in the bike lane on Burnside (around 82nd). I emailed a request (with a photo) for cleaning to the PBOT. No reply and 10 days later gravel is still there. Any other ideas on how to get PBOT to sweep up all the gravel they laid down during the snowstorm?

That looks bad. There are so many bike lanes in similar conditions. SW 5th Ave looks a lot like that. It hasn’t quite been two months since the snow storm, but it seems like it should have been long enough to sweep most of the arterial streets by this point.

1 Like

Tell them how awesome it is that they’re supporting gravel biking in the city. As soon as they hear how great it is for bikes they’ll clear it right out.

(No, I don’t really think that’s PBOT’s MO. Yes, I agree it’s long past time all February’s gravel was swept.)

Use PDX Reporter

1 Like

PBOT has the greed of a private corporation with the indifference of a government agency.
PBOT doesn’t care.

This is what PDX Reporter says can be reported. Take note of that REPORTED, which does not mean addressed.

This pile of trash/debris/junk was reported and they fail to abate it in a duration that any reasonable person would consider a reasonable response time for debris in road. I’d say it took over a month before some city agencies eventually caused trash/junk/debris to move elsewhere. So, it wasn’t removed. It’s just pushing it elsewhere where such junk/debris still isn’t allowed. This is on SW 13th / SW Montgomery. Bike lane completed blocked with garbage/junk. They ignored it, pushed the report away elsewhere. I put lines through to show where bike lane is and its obstruction by a humongous pile of trash (which includes bike boneyard)

Yes, I went under I405 on SW Montgomery the other day. It didn’t even look like a camp, it was just massive piles of “stuff” covered with tarps, with some people milling about. A chop shop no doubt, and it was fully blocking the bike lane.

There was a similar situation on NE Multnomah where it passes under I-5 earlier this week. The westbound bike lane was totally blocked by tents, tarps and other random items. There were camps next to the eastbound bike line, but the tents and junk were confined to the sidewalk area. However, there was a car that was parked in the middle of the bike lane, completely obstructing it. The car had no license plates and it was facing the wrong direction (not that there is ever a “right direction” for a car to be facing when it is parked in a bike lane).

1 Like

I partly blame organizations such as JOIN PDX
https://joinpdx.org/needs/
for soliciting, and distributing item known to be used in violation of city code. They should RFID or tattoo everything distributed so clean up liability expenses can billed and taken away from their funds.

Don’t even get me started on HUCIRP. Program coordinator Jonathan Lewis, MPA from HUCIRP repeatedly cited “Anderson agreement” to justify inaction (http://www.pearldistrict.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/PPB-Livability-Summit-Questions-with-Compiled-Answers-V1.pdf)

but if you read the Anderson Agreement at https://www.portlandoregon.gov/toolkit/article/738924 you’ll see JOIN is mentioned as the mandatory point of contact prior to posting. Isn’t it interesting that the same exact group is also handing out tents?

Truth said, the three people from that department with qualifications that are questionable (MPA, QMHP, CADC, MSW and such) for the task of encampment abatement and prevention have extremely wide discretion. While they disguise Anderson Agreement as a challenge that delays camp abatement, that’s not the case at all from what I can see. I believe it’s used as an excuse for inaction. Anderson Agreement doesn’t really affect how camps can be cleared if you actually read it. They can post the camp and abate it on the 25th hour, then dispose all their personal belonging on the 31st days after the removal.

Since they’re apparently the agent for the “property owning bureau”, essentially, the trio (Hillier, Lindsay and Lewis) have extreme level of discretion.

Thanks, I reported it on PDX reporter as well. Gravel still there. :frowning:

1 Like

UPDATE
PBOT swept the bike path! Amazing. I sent them a thank you note. :slight_smile: Seems like they should just automatically sweep bike lanes after laying down large amounts of gravel instead of only responding after several reports/request for service. :frowning:

4 Likes

Thank you notes/emails are good; positive reinforcement works. Even city employees (!) like to be thanked, even if they’re just doing their job. And it humanizes cyclists to them.

2 Likes

How long did it take after they were first made aware?

It was about 2 weeks.

2nd tier citizen treatment, but response time isn’t nearly as bad as how long they take to even get to construction outlaw (especially those tied to MONIED real estate developers).