Empty NikeTown Bike Racks

It seems like this is what I often see at NikeTown racks. Not very helpful. I used the bike share In Montreal. It was great. Never used the one here as it seems racks are often empty. :frowning:

1 Like

I’m not sure what it’s like in Montreal, but I know that here (or at least what I believe based on what I see), is that bikes don’t have to be returned to the racks. So they’re often just in random places, usually hooked up to a street sign or something. Similar to the e-scooters. Where I live, which is admittedly more visited than other parts of town, I’ll may see 1-3 bikes on the racks, but most of them are usually on the side of the street somewhere (though I don’t really pay that close of attention).
Haven’t used the Nike Bikes myself, but I think there is an app, which might help you locate them

I have noticed this a lot lately, maybe in the past month or so.
I live outside of the service area, but there is a rack nearby that I can walk to that has been consistently empty as of late. The system map always shows free-standing bikes too far away for them to be convenient.
Anyway, thanks for bringing this up.I hope a solution presents itself soon.
It’s nice to have predictable places to find these bikes.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve used the app but the random bikes always are a long ways away. In Montreal they reposition the bikes frequently so racks are well stocked. In laissez-faire Portland it’s doesn’t happen. Not surprising given that we have a city government on life support which is not addressing livability issues for the average Portlander.

1 Like

Be cool if they had stocked racks at every public library. Yes predictable locations would be nice,

Making the system dockless was a mistake. I see unlocked bikes frequently, I’ve seen them stolen and dumped in camps, and I’ve seen them locked to inappropriate objects like handrails on wheelchair ramps, small trees, etc.

Maybe the tourists are ignorant or don’t care, but there’s also a certain (perhaps growing) percentage of Portlanders who see trash and disorder everywhere and just roll with it. No sense taking a moment to leave a bike in a docking station if there are needles on the ground and burnt tents everywhere.

1 Like

This usually seen in service areas.