East Springwater trail observations

With the weather getting better, I’ve been able to start getting out of the gym and out on the Springwater trail to get my rides in. I live in Gresham not far from where the trail crosses Walters, and that’s where I get on it. Limited light in the afternoons and the still somewhat cold weather means I’m only doing about 40km rides for now. Here’s what I observed yesterday. I started off by heading west and turned around at 122nd. There was some evidence of the utility work that’s being done adjacent to the trail, but no blockages. Between 122nd and 128th, there were 4 or 5 visible drug camps. Between 128th and 136th, there were 5 or 6 including at least one producing copious quantities of smoke from a fire. From 136th to Jenne, basically behind Powell Butte, there were only a couple of individuals who looked like they were in the process of setting up camps. From Jenne all the way to Boring, there were no visible drug camps. Heading up the hill to Boring, there was a fair amount of wet leaves and mush on the trail, so be careful coming down the hill. There had been a blockage for the utility work this weekend on the last portion of that hill that was easy to ride around. The barriers for that were off of the trail yesterday though. Bike traffic was light the whole way. I saw one walker on the section between 136th and Jenne carrying a substantial club, but he didn’t look sketchy and it looked like he had it for defense, not offense. There was also the usual piles of horse poop on the trail on that section. It’s good to be back on the bike. Enjoy your rides.

1 Like

it’s getting hard to tell if this is a 3rd world country with manure and camps on the paths like the slums of india, or a 1st world country.

1 Like

Well, the horse poop is just horse poop and easily avoided. It is a multi use path after all and people do ride their horsies there. It’s the drug camps that are the problem.

Since you utilize Spring Water, would you be open to gathering up syringes you find and exchanging them for new ones through Multnomah County (122nd and Glisan) ? The new ones can then be given out to drug campers along Springwater Corridor by the Eastmoreland Racquet Club and I think that could have an impact in helping increase (or simply migrate) number of discarded syringes where ruling class have to face it. You can honestly say that you reduced the number of syringes as long as what you redistribute near the ruling class neighborhood is slightly less than what you removed from impacted area.

I’m not suggesting anything illegal. Multnomah County and Oregon Health Authority actually encourages “need based” and secondary syringe service programs.

What is your problem? I really can’t tell who or what you’re aiming at from your post. “Ruling class”? Really?

I feel for policy makers to really see things as a problem is when these problems start to affect their daily personal lives.

“Policy Makers” declared a housing emergency back in 2015. Have they shown any competence or compassion in even attempting to solve the many issues around the non-traditionally housed?
Let’s face it, they’d have sweeps right away in their neighborhoods if it came too close to them and their neighbors.

1 Like

I was out there Tuesday. I get on @ 128th via se Reedway. Clear MUP as usual. The camps between 128th and 136th have fluctuated from compounds to a few tents down in that culvert. I’ve never experienced a blocked path there, but, my thoughts and prayers go out to the long gone vegetation, now just hardcore muddy dirt.
I haven’t seen any new camps since early fall. The camp just east of Jenne is gone.
I did see a large tent directly under a recently cleared transmission tower…can’t remember where it was…,

PGE is clearing all the thick briar-patches from under the transmission towers on the trail, all the way to Sellwood.
A lot of camps west of 122nd in the area of those towers = rock meet hard place.

1 Like

I rode the Springwater trail again yesterday. Same route except I went as far west as Johnson Creek Blvd, a total of 50km. Conditions were pretty much the same on the route I observed before. Going further west, there’s a burned out RV by the trail at 111th with a two or three other vehicles parked there and sketchy individuals hanging out. That’s a difficult intersection even at the best of times since undergrowth right up to the street makes it hard to look for oncoming traffic on 111th. The additional parked vehicles make it harder still. Approaching Foster Road, the drug camps begin much further to the east than last year and then continue to be more numerous than last year all the way to 82nd. There were sketchy individuals standing in the middle of the trail and talking just west of Foster. They weren’t paying any attention to bikes having to steer around them. There was a bunch of guys working on the neighborhood do-it-yourself East Springwater Skateboard Park at 100th. They didn’t seem sketchy at all and had smiles for me as I rode past. Good for them. Once you cross 82nd, the drug village at Harney is still gone. There’ a camp at Luthor and some other signs of camping until you get to Johnson Creek Blvd. I had felt pretty good heading west, but then faced a significant headwind all the way back to Walters in Gresham. A real rule #5 kind of deal. The wind lessened on the way east from there and the leaves had all dried out on the hill before Boring. No utility work blockages anywhere along the way. The wind seems to be gone today, maybe I’ll see you out there. Have a good ride.

2 Likes

Actually I have an acquaintance who works for the city (fairly high up position). This family had a large homeless camp across the street from their house for months. Even had a guy with a warrant out for his arrest and had a prior murder conviction. He would scream at night and verbally assaulted their 12 year old. Their neighbor would bring him clothes, food and charge his phone. The camp was finally swept but took about 9 months to do that. Of course one beat up RV has already returned. I’m sure the tents will be back soon.

Thanks for the trial update. That’s helpful. Still too scary for me. Just going to stick with my car for awhile. :frowning:

I would appreciate anyone riding the trail to keep an eye out for my bike that was stolen on January 30th from 115th and Harold. It was a 2022 Trek dual sport, womens sz medium. Mulsanne blue with gray / silver lettering. Only owned it for two weeks, it was taken sitting right in between my son’s bikes. They’re pretty sad I can’t take them on bike rides anymore.

3 Likes

I’ve kept my eyes open and haven’t seen it. There is a fairly large bike chop shop operation going on just east of 82nd.

2 Likes

I really appreciate it!

Be sure to list on Bike Index and Project 529 as stolen. Also check online sale sites (offer up, Craigslist, Facebook, etc)

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I have it registered and listed as stolen on both sites. Trying to hold out hope that it will eventually reappear!

1 Like

I got done with work early today, so I went out and did the 50km ride from Gresham to Johnson Creek Blvd, back to Boring, and then back home. No trail blockages or wet leaves. There were a couple of addicts smoking meth in a silver beater Honda that was parked where Circle Ave dead ends at the trail a bit west of Jenne. The two proto drug camps I had seen before between there and 136th were more established. That burned out RV by the trail at 111th is still there, but now it’s got the stripped shell of a red Subaru Outback piled on top of it. There was another car there as well that was in the process of being stripped by some guy. It looked like the drug camps all the way from 136th and 82nd had gotten larger since last time. There were some new, fairly large ones underneath the 205 overpass. I guess they were suburbs of the the drug city a bit off the trail past the no admittance fence next to the east side of 205. Oddly, the large drug camp and bike chop shop just east of 82nd was completely gone. Weird. Also, there was less glass on the trail than usual between 92nd and 82nd. There was a new camp just west of 82nd and there were several that I hadn’t seen before past Harney and again past Luthor. Are all these new and expanded camps the result of the mayor’s ban on camping adjacent to major thoroughfares? I didn’t see many of the residents of the camps out. It was the middle of the afternoon on a Friday, so maybe they were all still at work. Heading back east, it was clear sailing from Gresham to Boring. Looks like the weather may be decent tomorrow, so as Freddy Mercury sang, “Get on your bikes and ride!”.

2 Likes

Portland says it’s supportive of meeting carbon reduction goals yet allows our non motorized trails to be a “no go zone” for many. Lots of hypocrisy amongst our leaders.

1 Like

oh and the worst city bureau of Portland… PBOT turning a blind eye on unauthorized vehicles that have nothing to do with authorized maintenance, or emergency response activities. Many of them also don’t comply with emissions requirements.

PBOT led by Hardesty doesn’t care about those laws. She has unilaterally decided on which laws to apply and which to not. Bizarre how we have allowed a city council member to decide that. For example now PBOT has decided to “de-emphasize” enforcement of automobile registration. What’s next are we going to “de-emphasize” the enforcement of throwing hatchets at cyclists? The guy is mentally ill so it’s not his fault he doesn’t like bicyclists, right? Everyone is now a victim in woke Portland.

1 Like