Coal Rolled yesterday

First time poster here, I was coal rolled yesterday and felt like I needed to write it off my chest. I can’t stop thinking about the experience. It occurred at the intersection of SW Terwilliger & SW Taylors Ferry, the vehicle was a later model white Dodge Ram with tinted windows and some kind of flag/eagle decal covering the entire back window. The truck passed me as I was going north on Terwilliger, I pulled up next to it at a red light at SW Taylors. Light turns green and we both go (I’m in green box/bike lane), and the driver lets me have it. I could hear the feathering of the throttle, soft acceleration, complete let up, and then the hammer, so I knew it was coming… Pretty sure the truck took the I-5 nb exit, because it wasn’t in the backup from the red light at Barbur. Anyway, totally aggressive uncool behavior that I’m certain would not have occurred if the individual was not in the confines of the truck.

That sucks. Sorry that happened to you.

I sure wish that we had real vehicle emissions laws with real teeth. It should not be legal to modify ECU computers to do that. I’m sure that truck has crazy awful NOx and SOx emissions all the time, even when it isn’t spewing out visible clouds of black smoke.

3 Likes

Rolling coals actually is illegal.

VERIFY: Is 'rolling coal' legal in Oregon? | kgw.com.

1 Like

What a sad excuse for a human being. I wonder who hurt them.

Yeah, but a lot of 4WD heavy duty diesel pickup trucks are exempt from DEQ emissions testing in Oregon and most other states that have emissions testing in the US. There is a loophole for vehicles that are listed by the manufacturer as having a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 8,500 lbs. All you have to do is submit a waiver at the time of registration that states that your vehicle meets the exemption.

If a cop catches you in the act of emitting a big cloud of smoke, you’re busted. But you can drive around with illegally modified or disabled emissions controls with impunity as long as a cop doesn’t actually see a black cloud leaving your tailpipe. It is technically illegal to do this, but the police and the DEQ have no mechanisms to enforce the law.

Being coal rolled from a stop is one thing. You proceed through the cloud fairly quickly. The ones that really bother me are going up a hill. Not only are your lungs already working hard but the truck leaves a loooong trail of exhaust right in your path for what could be minutes. Infuriating.

1 Like