Classic Skykomish bicycle STOLEN near 12th and Montgomery St

Earlier today, I idiotically forgot to retrieve my bike from a rack and bring it back to its garage before dark. When I finally went back to retrieve it, the entire bike except for the lock (cut) and the helmet was gone. I live at the west end of the PSU campus and parked the bike in front of Hoffman Hall, which I know is very close to a bike chop shop (at the corner of 12th and Mongomery St.). Therefore, I think there is a relatively high chance that it ended up there, although I have no evidence yet. If anyone knows more about the details of this shop, or can give advice on doing a fake buy, please let me know.

The bike is a relatively old model of the Skykomish brand and with the Marble Point build/color. Despite the bike’s age and having purchased it second-hand, my family and I have put hundreds of dollars into its repair and I care greatly about getting it back.

Although I couldn’t find a picture of the bike itself, I found a picture of a bike of the exact same model online. However, note that this bike has a number of differences: the front wheel was replaced and has a black inner rim, while the back wheel is original and has a gray inner rim. The tire on the back wheel also has thinner traction bumps than the front wheel. It is a 21 speed.

As usual, check bikeindex.org and run your serial. If you didn’t record it, you might as well call it water under the bridge.

a bike chop shop? No, that area is bike chop shop mall. There is a cluster of them within 1/2 mile radius of that spot. Here’s just a handful. See the red circles where I have personally confirmed presence in the past few months. Chop shop sighting: SW 12th & SW Montgomery on 8/18/20

A bicycle left unattended in that area will be like food left unattended on the table near seagulls. Staring at seagulls prevents the food from getting stolen. Similar to bike thieves.

4 Likes

And see all the advice in here https://bikeindex.org/news/what-to-do-when-your-bike-is-stolen-in-portland-oregon

… esp the part about monitoring the online stolen goods bazaar that is Offerup for your stolen bike.

Those vagrant drug addicts show no mercy. This one’s a chopped bike that was tossed in the bushes in the I-405 SB on-ramp off SW 13th and Montgomery sometime last year. This is very infuriating.

1 Like

That is so low …stealing from zoo bombers! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Looks more recent than a year, weeks-ish; grass & stems still bent.

1 Like