Child Hit today on bike in NE Portland

A child biking was hit today crossing NE 33rd at Hancock. An ambulance was summoned. This is a dangerous area adjacent to a K-8 school (Beverly Cleary) . PBOT has done some rudimentary traffic improvements in the area (US Grant and NE 33rd) but needs to do more BEFORE a child is seriously injured or killed at this location. This is the 3rd episode this year of vehicular violence against a child adjacent to the school and park. Reportedly a new signal is needed but they state there is no money for this. POBT lowered the speed limit to 25 mph but of course there has been zero enforcement so no one follows the speed limit. Very disappointing to see the city of Porltand’s disregard for our children.

They need to install some speed bumps or something, at the very least. Three kids hit by cars in a year is outrageous.

1 Like

Here is a petition from 6 YEARS AGO detailing the exact same issue with children suffering from vehicular violence at this same location. PBOT is failing.

So sorry to hear this. Thanks for sharing. Do you have any source of info or way for me to verify this recent crash or any of the others?

It is my understanding that PPS administration and PBOT are aware of the injury collision. Below is a PPS contact who has responded.

Teri Brady
Director of Student Transportation
Portland Public Schools
503-710-7769 cell
503-916-6901 x77274 office
tbrady1@pps.net

These individuals at PBOT should also be aware:

Current Injury Collision:

Scott Cohen (he/him)
Program Coordinator
Neighborhood Greenways | Bikeway Missing Links
Portland Bureau of Transportation