Censorship on BikePortland

Is there another outlet for cycling news in Portland that doesn’t have such a blatant bias? I like to keep up with local bike news but I’m getting tired of seeing valid opinions silenced by Jonathan Maus.

2 Likes

BikePortland is a display case for Maus to display his woke badges.

2 Likes

I think you guys are being unfair to Jonathan. I disagree with him on some issues. I think there needs to be more focus on cycling. For example, there needs to be more (at least some?) coverage of the deplorable state of our MUPs and what can be done about it. But Jonathan doesn’t seem to censor opinions that differ from his own. He does try to maintain a level of civility in the comments and forums and we should all appreciate that.

13 Likes

You should start one! There is definitely a need and would be demand for a balanced bike and transportation information and news site in Portland.

2 Likes

He censors comments from this blog ALL the time. Yes, he lets a few through but you don’t even see most critical comments. Twitter is a bit better as he can’t censor there,

1 Like

If you’ve read my posts and thought my wording in some of the posts are very quirky, community guidelines is the answer. One thing he’s said is we can’t make assumptions about the ownership status of bicycles within unlawfully established bicycle processing facilities. The lawfulness of bicycle processing facility though, can be checking business permit requirements and the absence of business license for the type of operations taking place, and the absence of lease on the publicly owned property on which the said bicycle dismantling activities are taking place.
I just can not use the c word.

4 Likes

it makes you wonder if Maus is getting a cut from the “advocates” to keep homeless reporting as sanitary as possible.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what’s being censored and what isn’t, but I do find it distracting – and harmful to cyclist unity – when some on this site speak so cruelly of homeless people. Talk about punching down! I hate the trash and filth and squalor too, but the people themselves are mostly decent people with fucked-up lives. Try talking with them: 90% of them know they have no social standing and are considered trash and wish to hell they weren’t living like that. Yeah, some are just plain nuts, or criminals, but the same can be said of rich people – they just have good lawyers and can afford trash pickup.

10 Likes

“Censorship”? Seriously?

Good grief.

8 Likes

it’s a little hard to have a conversation with someone who tells you to “F-off” and swings a pipe at you just for getting to close to their precious trash pile.

4 Likes

If only it was true.
I used to offer temporary housing for homeless folks, from a couple weeks on a couch, to several years in a spare room. But too much has happened (even before COVID) I will no longer open my doors.
There’s plenty of opportunities available to those that really want to no longer lead the camping street life, but their own actions speak much louder than the words that come out of their mouths.
I’m quite happy to chat them up, when they are civil, and even spare a few bucks or buy a meal, but those are so in the minority anymore.

1 Like

Most complainers are the same ones who have some kind of political agenda for Portland Business Alliance == nee People For? Portland / Betsy Johnson.
They post the same political bozo poop over and over and over. Maybe that’s why they are getting deleted?
They never post anything about bikes, or “cycling news”.

5 Likes

Loving this thread on BikePortland with comments about how BikePortland censors comments and would never let comments critical of BikePortland be posted on BikePortland.

FWIW reading the forums makes me physically ill at the level of dehumanization casually thrown around in most of the threads, so I don’t come here often. If the forums feel to you like an empowering place and the blog comments don’t, then do the reverse of me and don’t hang out on the blog.

And, of course, anyone can start their own website.

4 Likes

Pushing for safety for all is NOT punching down. It’s called compassion. Allowing our MUP’s to be trashed and dangerous is not kind. Having people robbed, raped, shot and killed in street camps and derelict RV’s is not good for the unhoused nor the unhoused. More evolved societies in Europe do not allow this cruelty. Why should we?

5 Likes

ever notice how defenders of anarchy always try to derail these conversations with how we “dehumanize” people? Like somehow allowing them to live in squalor is better?

4 Likes

His site, his rules.

4 Likes

The issue I have is Maus tries to paint himself as a truth seeking journalist when he is really a closed minded intolerant far left activist.

2 Likes

You are free to never visit here again. Quite frankly, you don’t seem to have anything to say about cycling and all of your posts are apparently propaganda for People For Portland.

5 Likes

Actually that’s false. I guess you are not concerned about the epidemic of traffic violence in Portland. Ride on brother.

2 Likes

No offense but I’ve posted 10x more cycling news than you have. Seriously.

2 Likes