Booby Trap today on columbia slough trail pictures attached

Hi everyone,
I was riding along the Columbia slough trial. I was coming down a hill on a corner and saw some fresh grass in the path. I did not realize someone had placed a perfectly straight line of large rocks across the bike path at the bottom of the hill and covered it with fresh cut grass. I hit the rocks going 20+ miles per hour and had a pretty decent crash. Note pictures taken after I started clearing it.

Also note as a new user I can only post one picture at a time

Location of trap: Columbia Slough Trail near Interstate / Denver and N Schmeer rd.
Date of incident: 16 May 2020
Time: 11:20 am

I have attached pictures of me post crash and the trap after I started clearning it. I cleared the trap and reported to police non emergency phone number.

1 Like

Damn. Thanks for reporting here and to the cops. Hope you’re feeling better soon. Any damage to your steed?

3 Likes

Appears mostly cosmetic to the brake lever, brake hood, saddle, pedal and quick-release lever on one side. Pinarello only 2 weeks old :frowning: definitely a bummer, but I guess it could have been worse.

4 Likes

Dang @pizzapunx so sorry to see this. That section of the path is often sketchy and full of debris. It’s really sad. I ran over a rat a few days ago and have had to avoid fires and even a junked out abandoned car at one point.

Hope you heal up all the way.

I wonder what kind of sicko randomly targets people – especially given that a high percentage of cyclists are elderly. This was an extremely dangerous trap.

One of the biggest reasons I avoid separated infrastructure is because of how often you have to deal with crazy things that just don’t happen on the roads.

Heal up and stay safe.

1 Like

Ugh, that sucks! Almost had a head on that same place due to so much crap under there.

It’s the guy who some times camps there under the rr bridge. I recall about two years ago he built a wood barrier there to stop bikes.

A week ago, riding south-east on N. Columbia Blvd., near N. Upland Dr., I struck a bread-loaf sized granite cobble hidden in the shadows. Nothing malicious about the rock’s placement. There’s simply a a lot of construction trucking and road-side debris on that stretch of road. I’ll steer clear of it in future. Presuming, of course, that I can ride again; over the bars at 20mph, I took the impact on my chest. So, be careful out there, folks!

1 Like

Best wishes by the way for a full and rapid recovery to you, @pizzapunx

That looks really bad, hoping for your rapid recovery.

Hella way to end a ride! :persevere: Heal well, I hope you can ride again soon.

I hope you heal well, too, pizzapunx. Thanks for reporting it, and you sure have a cool head to be able to photograph it so well right after the crash. I hope your report gets some eyes on it from precinct officers, bureau heads, and even councilors. The picture of biking on what should be a popular path isn’t pretty.

Sorry this happened to you. I take this route often and will be watching debris more closely going forward.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Stay safe out there!