Blackout car window tint

Anyone notice the proliferation of super black tint on the front side windows of vehicles? This makes it impossible to see or make eye contact with a driver stopped at a crossing intersection and whether they are paying attention to oncoming bike traffic. For bike riders approaching a vehicle with dark tint, it feels very risky to proceed. I imagine people tint their windows primarily for ‘style’ (but this is grey-sky Oregon, for crying out loud), and it feels very dangerous to me. The State of Oregon has window tint regulations, but how is this enforced?? In my opinion it is another reason why it feels unsafe to ride a bike on our roadways.

6 Likes

All the time.

You’re in a public place. Your 4000 lb death machine rolling down the road at 40MPH should be easily visible inside and out so that other death machines, and most importantly vulnerable road users such as cyclists, can see you and your intentions clearly. Put others lives before your curtains of privacy, such selfishness behavior to tint your windows like that.

3 Likes

There is minimal enforcement of most laws in Portland. Don’t complain or you will be branded a racist or a Trumpist or some other evil person. Lawlessness is unfortunately being enabled in this once beautiful city. Vote differently if you want a change and don’t want windows to be overly tinted. :rofl:

Darkly tinted windows also make traffic stops more dangerous for drivers and police officers in addition to cyclists.

But it’s the Wild West in Portland, so ride safe and try to stay away from the 4000lb death machines.

1 Like

Last week, I very cautiously rode past a car stopped at a stop sign that had blacked out windows…AND a “share the road” bicycle license plate. I was tempted to stop and ask them if they recognized the ridiculousness of that, but in general I try not to be confrontational with drivers when I’m on my bike.

3 Likes

In my experience, the “share the road” license plate drivers are the worst. Either they don’t realize what they are doing is bad for cyclists. Or maybe they allow themselves to be subjugated by cars and figure that all cyclists should too. Either way, when I see one of those plates, I treat the vehicle with exceptional skepticism.

Stay safe

1 Like

My protocol is to wait on them to do whatever. I have to assume they’re not looking at me. So I wait until they continue on or roll their window down and make eye contact or signal to me.

2 Likes

I saw a new SUV yesterday as I tried to make a left turn in my motor vehicle onto NE Fremont from a side street doing well over the 25 MPH speed limit (yes, outside of the Beaumont-Wilshire 20 zone). I had already seen that the oncoming lane to my right was well clear for a full block to my right and checked my left, and had a clearance to go. As I started to go while casually double-checking to my right, my wife said, “NO!” Thankfully I stopped on a dime as the SUV whizzed by at 35 MPH or higher. We slotted in right behind them all the way to MLK where we both turned right (or I should say, we kept catching up to them as they were impeded by pedestrian-induced stops and stoplights).

He didn’t have any plates. His windows were tinted so darkly that I could just barely make out that there was a DMV-authorized dealer “plate” on the inside of the rear window. This is a piece of white paper against the inside of the window. How is one supposed to ever detect what the driver’s head is doing inside a vehicle such as this? Yes, it’s the back window, but I’ve seen brand new SUVs on the road where the side tinting is so dark that I cannot even see the driver’s silhouette, even though the sun is on the other side of the vehicle.

How is this legal?

I can only suppose that dealers only sell street-legal vehicles, lest they would be vulnerable to media exposure, regulatory punishment, or a lawsuit. I know that the standards for tinting are much, much worse for SUVs and trucks than they are for passenger vehicles — but by that much?

3 Likes

Unless someone is bleeding the police aren’t responding. Bad drivers know this. My horn has been getting quite the workout since stop signs are now “optional” for motor vehicles and people keep entering my lane without looking. I really want to ride to work this time of year but there’s no way in hell I’m riding from portland to West Linn and back when it’s dark outside.

1 Like

Yep, makes sense to me. Not a good time to be a vulnerable cyclist. I have curtailed my rides as well. Portland police are so understaffed they will only come if you are truly dying. Traffic enforcement has been canceled. Remind why I’m paying so many taxes?

Square,
This is what we get for voting for leaders who don’t support enforcement of our laws. It’s caused a breakdown of our social contract.

1 Like

Because of the in-migration of people and vehicles from other states with standards that allow much darker windows, and the availability of dark films for do-it-yourselfers, there are a lot vehicles on Oregon roads that have darker windows than Oregon state law allows.

I think that car window tint should be part of regular DEQ inspections for license renewal. If the windows don’t meet Oregon standards, then the license renewal should be denied.

8 Likes

Agree. However, the Portland and Multnomah County leaders we have elected discourage enforcement of laws or regulations that they feel would be inequitable. Unfortunately, they consider most traffic laws and vehicle regulations to be inequitable. Therefore we are left with record traffic deaths, dilapidated RV’s spewing sewage in our neighborhoods and yes even overly tinted windows which are dangerous for cyclists, pedestrians and police officers.

1 Like