BikePortland.org threading/nesting problems

@Jonathan_Maus, I just wanted to point out my comment on an article here, because I think this is a more appropriate place to call it out for you.

https://bikeportland.org/2020/04/17/forums-friday-please-cover-your-faces-while-riding-313737#comment-7328632

• @#$%^ Once again, Hell Kitty shows mastery of the nesting system. Not.

FWIW, Kitty, you need to hard refresh the page after you purposely nest a comment, otherwise, the script that does the nesting thinks you’re still in the same context.

Jonathan, I don’t know if your site developer changed the nesting library or just botched something many moons ago, but it used to be that when commenters attempted to nest, there was a bit of meta data above the text input area that said “replying to {previous commenter}”. If that could get restored, it would help abate the lion’s share of these nesting complaints.

2 Likes

Yes. Thanks. We’ve worked on this issue in the past. Keep in mind that the main architecture that runs BP is based on a free WP theme I started using in 2005! It has been heavily modded by some very talented developers, but it is also full of gremlins and complexities.

We are working on a whole redesign/upgrade that will come with more functional and better comment section.

That being said I will fwd this to my dev and ask him to take a look at it. Could be a simple fix.

4 Likes

Enjoying the new commenting system on the main site so far, particularly being able to edit typos!

1 Like

I’m curious about one thing on the new comments: what makes a comment a closed or reply-able thread?

1 Like

Great to hear you like it so far!

As for your question about closed or reply-able. Not exactly sure what you mean. But on my end (as a logged-in admin), I think that means I can close replies on a specific comment so that people can just keep arguing over some personal beef or off-topic thing.

When in doubt, just click something and see what it does!

Some legacy comments (comments made before you flipped the switch) seem to have some comments with a reply button, and others with a lock icon and no reply button. Let me paste a link to an example: https://bikeportland.org/2020/05/07/portland-just-installed-first-of-100-temporary-diverters-to-tame-traffic-and-create-safer-streets-314627#comment-7341797