BikePortland gift guide?

I’d love to see a gift guide for local vendors so I can spend my holiday budget supporting local bike shops and not random vendors on Amzn. Anyone have links, tips or guides for the Portland area?

1 Like

Great idea @mperham. I’ve had a few other folks suggest this as well. Can you give me a sense of what would be useful to you specifically?

I’ll try to make something like this happen. How about folks use this thread to suggest items that should be included in the guide?

Personally I’m looking to upgrade my apparel with a new jacket and rainy day pants, ideally something more vintage looking, I’m not a spandex racer.

But just having a list of links to local shop websites would be huge and allow me to browse.

Thanks. That’s helpful. And it makes me think that with Covid shops have gotten better at their online presence so hopefully they can capitalize on that in the holiday season. I have some work to do to make this a valuable thing. Stay tuned.

The best part of past November BikeCraft fairs for me has been the wide choice of unusual offerings: one-of-a-kind art and crafts, clothing (my favorite thin merino beanie, funny socks), bike stuff (head badge for an old Schwinn), books, and more. BikeCraft seemed very accessible to and populated by the smallest of entrepreneurs, and that’s what made for the diverse selection, and a one-stop display for all those things was wonderful. Most of the wares weren’t available at any commercial store, maybe a few Saturday Market booths. Some sort of a pop-up outlet (virtual), or at least display forum, for those micro-crafters would be awesome.

2 Likes

Sounds like Mom and Pop need to look into Shopify.

Sure, and Etsy. But local micro markets are special, too.

Oh I miss BikeCraft. I assume it will happen again this year as our friends at Microcosm Publishing have done a great job keeping the spirit alive. I’ll definitely promote that once I hear the date and details.

3 Likes

Bike Tires Direct while online is actually local. They’re off of Columbia just east of 82nd. I typically pick my orders up rather than having them delivered.

1 Like

Bike Tires Direct while online is actually local. They’re off of Columbia just east of 82nd. I typically pick my orders up rather than having them delivered.

Same. Love them. If I can get the Schwalbe tires I want from them, they are the first place I go.

1 Like