Auto-centric memes

Today, I saw in a comedy meme group this thinly-veiled windshield perspective.

So I had a l little fun and responded with this.

2 Likes

I don’t know why, but your added meme brought up this acronym they drilled into our skulls when I went through motorcycle training 35 years ago.

SIPDE: Scan, Identify, Predict, Decide, Execute

They ran us through a gazillion scenarios with autos, dogs, peds, cyclists, you name it. And the skills test to pass the course was real. Aside from the normal stuff, you had to ride over a bunch of 2 x 4’s, get into a skid at 40mph and control it, and some other things.

All of this paid for 100% by the state, helmets and motorcycles provided. If only driver education could be like that here. Driver’s ed was a required full semester course in HS where/when I grew up, including skill development and road time. Lots of gory police photos of what can happen if you make a mistake.

1 Like

I got my moto endorsement many years ago too through Team Oregon (still prefer my bike over the moto to get to places like work). I agree that driving instruction and testing should be as arduous as that is — and for license renewal, especially if you have any active points on your driving record. I hear budget concerns a lot. Why not semi-privatize it to a NPO the way the motorcycle endorsement is with Team Oregon?

Nabbed from the Wikipedia blurb:

Team Oregon Motorcycle Safety Program, known as Team Oregon, is an American, Oregon-based motorcycle safety partnership between the Oregon Department of Transportation and Oregon State University. Headed by Steve Garets, it is funded by ODOT through motorcycle endorsement fees and student tuition.

Staying alert is necessary while driving, if you don’t want to get into an accident.

1 Like

Despite holding a moto endorsement, I haven’t actually ridden one for about 30 years.

The thing that’s always kept me on my bike is that I need it to help maintain base fitness. Also, a bike is generally more versatile/fun in the PDX area not to mention much faster during rush and cheaper to operate. Plus, much easier to stay physically comfortable in heat, cold, wet, etc on a bike.

I’ve decided no powered assistance for me until I genuinely need it to get around.

2 Likes

All of that you said @banerjek. Yes! My wife and I got our endorsements at the same time. Then we (she) bought a Honda Rebel. I have yet to ride it except for the first week we got it. She rides it a lot and sometimes goes on long-riding road trips with her travel-blogging sister and boyfriend. I started bicycle commuting about 14 years ago now to build in that daily motivated activity (I find “working out” monumentally un-motivating). Having a specific destination or need to ride is not a problem and I tend to put a little cat 6 into my daily commute. Most trips under 3 miles are done on my bike, and otherwise it’s a bus ride or a walk. I get in the car or ride share if I have too much stuff to haul in a pannier, I plan on drinking, or I have my dogs or company with me. Sometimes I’ll not ride when I’d really like to for the fact that I have no secure place to lock my bike at the other end and/or I have to leave it out of site for too long (movie theaters are a perfect example). That struggle is real.

1 Like

Rebel is a great starter bike – lots of fun on narrow windy roads.

Bike security is a big deal. Two of bikes (one is actually a trike) are for locking in public places. Both are minimalist with no good components to steal The trike has the additional advantage of frequently being mistaken for adaptive technology which can be hilarious when people see how I move it while believing I have some kind of disability. Even so, I like to keep these in sight.

If I didn’t cycle, I’d probably get an electric unicycle. Fast, ride it anywhere (including stairs if you’re good), and can easily be taken in an office or business. It surprises me that I don’t see more of them – strikes me as especially practical for the PDX environment.

I bought a single speed bike several summers ago to have a cheap, fair-weather bike for fun and peace of mind for locking up (no pricey components) — but I ended out getting a super good deal from a friend of a friend on a Felt cross bike ($300!) that was only a year old from someone that was going to concentrate on road racing instead of cross. I did cross once that first fall, but the guy that “sponsored” (by that I mean he egged me on and drove us to Blind Date) so I ended out changing my bars and adding other commuter-friendly amenities. So now I have a super-nice, super-fun, fair-weather bike that I’m afraid to leave locked up out of site. Back to square one there. :smiley:

I think my next n+1 will be a cargo box bike with electric pedal assist. I want to be able to take my dogs places, haul heavy loads, and extend my range. Plus, I bet that with all that weight, I can haul a nice, super heavy chain to keep it secure. :wink:

Despite holding a moto endorsement, I haven’t actually ridden one for about 30 years.

Ditto! Maybe I’ll get the old thumper running this year.

I took my test on a Honda 90, no special training, just a bit of dirt riding and two years of driving. I absolutely agree that some formal learning, classroom and hands-on, is better. If I do get it back on the road, a refresher class is in the cards (WMSP/MSF up here).