A gravel casualty

Today I finally fell victim to a absurdly heavy layer of road gravel and fell to the pavement
at Capitol hwy and Bertha.There are heavy layers of gravel in the bike path and it will probably be there for months. Luckily this a wide and rather well protected path near the Hillsdale area. Fortunately my major injury amounted to skin scraped off my knee and destroyed pants. The real downer is I may have damaged my derailleur. This is a serious hazard covering a massive area of roadways.

3 Likes

So sorry! Another injury due to lack of bike lane maintenance. This is a major problem throughout Portland with gravel and leaves in our bike lanes and bike paths blocked by tents and housing structures and vehicles being allowed to illegally drive on bike paths. We have elected ideologues who focus on ideology instead of pragmatic leaders who work to provide us the essential services we are paying for. PBOT commissioner in charge Joanne Hardesty is up for re-election in May. Consider voting differently if you want a change.

2 Likes

To me it seems that many of them (mayor, da, commissioners) would be better suited as social justice warriors for a non-profit or 2, not trying to redefine what law breaking is outside of the existing rules.
As for anyone, if there’s a law you don’t like, there’s ways to get that changed within accepted existing processes. Some of our elected officials feel that they are judge and jury and can decide which laws to obey and which ones not to when it’s inconvenient for them.
Yes, if you want change, vote for change. Our existing elected officials are not agents of change as they’ve proven over and over.

2 Likes

Sorry for your mishap, I’ve had a few of those …and scars.
FWIW: Report a non-urgent traffic safety concern to 823-SAFE | Portland.gov

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

I’ve reported the conditions near my home to pbot twice in the past two weeks, absolutely no action has taken place. 3-6 weeks is the average for them to clean up the grit they drop- we’re rapidly approaching the outer marker.

1 Like

Yeah, occasionally PBOT has cleaned up gravel I have reported. Typically within a month. Although sometimes never. It seems like it is getting worse and worse though. The essential services of Portland seem to be barely functioning unfortunately. It seems the leaders we have elected have their priorities elsewhere. :frowning:

Damn it. So sorry to hear about this. The lack of bike lane maintenance is a serious problem and I don’t think PBOT has done a good enough job answering questions about it. I will make a note to work on more stories about this issue. Thanks for sharing and take care.

1 Like

Unfortunately, they rarely respond to these reports.