2-stroke moped conversion...?!?

Sure, we’ve all seen them somewhere around town. There was one around my Vancouver neighborhood and it didn’t much bother me. He rode it safely and didn’t wring out the throttle into the really noisy range. I don’t like the emissions but I understand it’s a cheap way for some people to go farther than they can on an all-pedal bike.

Also, I like Jonathan’s sense of diversity, tolerance, and a big tent for the bicycle world at large.

Still, I’m surprised to see one on the masthead:

:bike:

I’m not complaining, just surprised enough to comment. How does it feel to others out there?

1 Like

Is that an extra piston zip-tied to the top tube? Pretty wild.

Right?! I guess it’s an ornament, not a hot spare…

Don’t know why two stroke vehicles of any kind are legal. They’re EXTREME polluters.

2 Likes

All petro-bikes and riders in WA need to be licensed and have standard road equipment (lights, horns, mirrors…). I’d guess in OR, too. (edit: so yeah, “legal” is questionable. also yeah on on nixing 2-strokes.)

1 Like

I guess I’d like to see Jonathan’s justification for it. They’re noisy, they pollute and likely illegal to operate on bike paths. Sometimes when you google “bikes” you also get motorcycle related sites, so maybe Bike Portland will start covering motorcycles. If so I will likely stop following. Never much been interested in motorized sports whether it’s on water, snow, or land. At least e-bikes are quiet and pollute less.

1 Like

I can’t see Jonathan covering motorcycles. They are not his thing, either. I suppose that’s basically why this gas-bike picture drew my attention, out-of-the-ordinary for BP. Conversion kits have been around for decades and I don’t think they are on the upswing - I hope not!